Applus+ IDIADA is a member of this consortium, with the ambition to realize Fail-operational Urban Surround perceptION (FUSION) which is based on robust Radar and LiDAR sensor fusion and control functions in order to enable safe automated driving in urban and rural environments
On the 1st of May 2018 a new research and innovation project PRYSTINE started, co-funded by the ECSEL JU and the national governments of the ECSEL member states. Applus+ IDIADA is a member of this consortium, with the ambition to realize Fail-operational Urban Surround perceptION (FUSION) which is based on robust Radar and LiDAR sensor fusion and control functions in order to enable safe automated driving in urban and rural environments.
This project will strengthen and extend traditional core competencies of the European industry, research and universities in smart mobility and in particular the electronic component and systems and cyber-physical systems domains.
Full information about this project can be found on the project’s website www.prystine.eu
PRYSTINE's high-level goals are:
- Enhanced reliability and performance, reduced cost and power of FUSION components
- Dependable embedded control by co-integration of signal processing and AI approaches for FUSION
- Optimized E/E architecture enabling FUSION-based automated vehicles
- Fail-operational systems for urban and rural environments based on FUSION
PRYSTINE will deliver (a) fail-operational sensor-fusion framework on component level, (b) dependable embedded E/E architectures, and (c) safety compliant integration of Artificial Intelligence (AI) approaches for object recognition, scene understanding, and decision making within automotive applications. The resulting reference FUSION hardware/software architectures and reliable components for autonomous systems will be validated in in 22 industrial demonstrators, such as:
- Fail-operational autonomous driving platform
- An electrical and highly automated commercial truck equipped with new FUSION components (such as LiDAR, Radar, camera systems, safety controllers) for advanced perception
- Highly connected passenger car anticipating traffic situations
- Sensor fusion in human-machine interfaces for fail-operational control transition in highly automated vehicles
PRYSTINE’s well-balanced, value chain oriented consortium, is composed of 60 project partners from 14 different European and non-European countries, including leading automotive OEMs, semiconductor companies, technology partners, and research institutes.
The main role of IDIADA in the PRYSTINE project will be centred in the test and validation domain, ranging from the requirements analysis and specification of a demonstration scenario, to the development of test cases for the evaluation and validation in terms of performance and functional safety of the layered control automation for a passenger car and a bus.
As WP6 leader, IDIADA will coordinate the verification/validation efforts of all the different demonstrators within the project. Potential synergies between simulation and real world testing will be identified during the project execution towards potential new validation methodologies.
Furthermore, IDIADA will act as national coordinator (the national part of the consortium is integrated by CSIC,FICOSA, IDIADA, IRIZAR, ITI, ROVIMATICA and TECNALIA)