ASSURED is aimed at boosting the electrification of urban commercial vehicles and their integration with high-power fast charging infrastructure, evaluating several infrastructures in various cities across Europe.
The project started in October 2017 with the aim of developing and testing high-power charging solutions for full-size, urban, heavy-duty applications. The fundamental aim is that each of these solutions is interoperable and capable of working with the full range of bus/truck manufacturers, will be able to charge various types of vehicles, and designed to supply energy for a whole fleet of buses.
Using innovative charging management strategies will contribute to reducing noise and air pollution, as well as the total cost of ownership and operational costs. Another element which will be improved is the grid stability to ensure a secure energy supply, essential for future uses when a larger number of vehicles will rely on the charging infrastructure.
To achieve this, ASSURED will test six public transport buses, two garbage trucks and one delivery truck. The charging solutions tested by ASSURED will include different types of pantographs, plug-in and wireless charging.
The goal is to charge different vehicles using the same infrastructure, which is what makes ASSURED so innovative: this will be the first time a project sets out to test the interoperability of the charging solutions applied. If successful, this will help reduce costs and support the standardisation of the elements of the infrastructure.
IDIADA is leading a crucial WP for charging system validation (EV and charger) and for interoperability testing. The solutions will be tested and, afterwards, demonstrated in European cities, including Barcelona.
- Understanding the needs of the cities, operators and end-users when it comes to high-power fast charging infrastructure for the next generation of electric buses, trucks and commercial vans in cities.
- Developing & testing innovative charging management strategies to optimise operational costs and ensure grid stability while reducing the environmental impact of urban transport, especially air and noise pollution.
- Providing cities, operators and end-users with interoperable and scalable high-power charging solutions among different key European charging solution providers.
- Evaluating the cost, energy efficiency, impact on the grid, noise and environmental impact of the ASSURED solutions.
- Boosting the take‐up of the ASSURED business cases and project results across Europe by eliciting knowledge and probative value on high-power charging solutions for decision-makers.
This project has received funding from the European Union’s Horizon 2020 Research and Innovation Programme under Grant Agreement number 769850.