Started: May 2013
Duration: 60 months
Total budget: 14.33M€
Coordinator: Xavier Ribas, Applus IDIADA
Partners: Applus IDIADA, CRF, Drive System, EIHP, ENI, ENOS, ERDGAS, Fluxys, Galp Energia, Gas Natural Fenosa, Gasrec, GNVERT, Dourogás, HAM, Hardstaff Dual Fuel, Iveco, Lindle, LNG24, Mendyra, Transportes Monfort, NGVA Europe, Renault Trucks, SGA, Vito, Volvo, Westport.
Fleet operators: LC3, AFC, Distrilog, Fercam, Havi Logistics, Luis Simoes, Transportes Mariné, Ninatrans, Paulo Duarte, Groupe Mauffrey, Bert, B.H.F, Transport Baiguini, Zam Explou, TIEL, MEGEVAND, Norbert Dentressangle, A.D.P.O, Mattheews, TJA, AtlanticCargo, Patinter, Transportes Nogueira, TML, Perrenot, S.H.T, Sotalis, TPS Garnier, Transportes Antonio Frade, JC Fiolet.
The project, which was kicked off in May 2013, will last for five years and includes development, standardization and demonstration activities. 13 new LNG fueling stations divided in four corridors will be built, and 150 trucks will be used for the demonstration. It is partially funded by an €8 million grant through the FP7 research programme.The European Commission has prioritized the introduction of fuels that reduce environmental impacts and diversify the energy supply. LNG is the only available fuel that allows for driving range, refueling time, and engine performance close to diesel.
Liquefied natural gas (LNG) is the fuel of the future – a real alternative to diesel with an internationally proven track record and an expanding product portfolio. The most important benefits that the Project wants to demostrate are:
- Reduce emissions
- LNG HDVs outperform Euro VI pollutant and PM standards
- Reduced noise emissions compared to diesel (up to 5dB less on average), enabling nighttime deliveries
- Enhance sustainability
- Renewable biomethane gas can be mixed with LNG in any proportion, being able to reduce up to 90% compated to diesel.
- Substantial reduction of CO2 emissions compared to diesel
- Save money
- Depending on local diesel fuel taxation, LNG can pay back quickly
- Greater historical and future price stability for natural gas/LNG
- Lower TCO (Total Cost of Ownership) per vehicle than diesel trucks